Popular Holiday Night Market Cancelled In South Coast City

Oct 3, 2019

A popular Santa Barbara holiday night market that had been slated for a November opening in the Paseo Nuevo mall has been cancelled.

The market, which had been set to run from late November through December, has a conflict with its landlord over the lease.

The founder and organizer, Glen Broomberg, who put the event together last year on a smaller scale  - though 250,000 people attended - was planning a three story affair in the old Macy's building with vendors.

He was also planning to include an ice rink, for which he had been getting a structural review and working with the city. 

Broomberg then says that all of a sudden there was a conflict, and the ice rink was a point of contention. He says that the city and Paseo wanted to nix the rink, even after he had spent thousands of dollars on planning and setup.

Paseo Nuevo said that by the end of last month, they did not have enough planning to execute a lease.

The city enjoyed an economic boost from the night market last year, and officials say they are very disappointed with the recent turn of events.