Students at a Ventura County school had to shelter in place for a few hours after a chemical leak at a nearby fruit packing facility sent strong fumes into the air.
The problem was first reported just before noon Thursday, at a facility at Main Street and Peck Road in Santa Paula.
Students and staff at nearby Blanchard Elementary School were ordered to shelter in place. Ventura County firefighters and a hazardous materials team responded. The fruit facility was evacuated.
It was determined that a chlorine spill led to the strong smell. One person was treated for exposure to the chlorine.