Warning Issued To Dog Owners About Virus Threat To Canines At Popular Local Beach
There’s a warning today for dog owners about possible exposure to their pet of a potentially dangerous canine virus at a popular South Coast beach.
Santa Barbara Animal Control officers say a dog taken to Mesa Lane Beach over the weekend tested positive for parvovirus.
The disease can make dog seriously ill with gastrointestinal and dehydration issues. The virus is spread from dog to dog by direct contact, or through contact with dog feces. It can remain in the environment for up to seven months.
Dog owners are urged to make sure their dogs are vaccinated against parvovirus before taking them to Mesa Lane Beach. The virus doesn’t pose a risk to humans.