Eight Treated For Exposure To Chemical Cloud At Ventura County Health Club Pool

Jul 22, 2016

Eight people were treated for exposure to a chemical cloud following an accident at a Ventura County health club.

It happened just after 10 Friday morning, at Gold’s Gym on the 1300 block of East Los Angeles Avenue in Simi Valley. Captain Scott Dettorre, with the Ventura County Fire Department, says too much chlorine was apparently put into the pool. He says some of it bubbled to the surface, creating a gas cloud.

Firefighters say six health club members, and one employee were taken to a hospital for treatment. One of the first responders was treated at the scene for exposure to the chlorine gas.

None of the people were reported to be seriously injured. The spill was quickly controlled, but the pool was closed for the day.