We saw more than 50 bands over three days during the 55th anniversary of the Newport Folk Festival in seaside Rhode Island. Here are some of the moments we'll remember.
Four stories of rock and roll musicians making a home — and a scene — in a buzzing neighborhood just across the Cumberland River from the palaces of country music.
On this week's All Songs Considered, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis collaborate with fellow Seattle band Fences, plus new music from Frazey Ford, Spider Bags, Zola Jesus, GOAT and more.
Dark Arc is a pastiche of gentle lyrical moments and punk anthems, often within the same tune. In the NPR offices, the Ohio band performs three alternately brooding and stomping songs from the album.
The roots reggae singer has played to thousands and appeared on Jimmy Fallon, but he says he is only willing to go a certain distance to please the mainstream.
- The Great War At 100: Music Of Conflict And Remembrance |
- A Fond Farewell From An Old Memphis Maverick |
- Life Beyond The Dance Floor |
- 'Purple Rain' Taught Me How To Be In A Band |
- Allah-Las, 'No Werewolf' |
- Song Premiere: Horse Feathers, 'Violently Wild' |
- Eric Clapton And J.J. Cale: Notes On A Friendship |
- Ceci Bastida: Punk Roots, Pop Sounds And A Political Mind |
- Gurrumul, An Unlikely International Star, Reaches U.S. Ears |
- YG: 'I Gave Y'All What I Seen' |