A Continuing Spirit of Excellence
KCLU has been recognized repeatedly for excellence in news coverage and for its passionate commitment to quality journalism. In the last five years alone, the station has received more than 140 major journalism awards, including 11 prestigious Edward R. Murrow Awards from the Radio and Television News Director Association.
Other professional associations that have honored KCLU include the Associated Press Television and Radio Association, the Los Angeles Press Club, and the Radio and Television News Director Association of Northern California. For nine years in a row, the station has received more coveted "Golden Mike" awards than any other radio or television station in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.
The story so far...
- KCLU "signed on" in October 1994 as a National Public Radio affiliate with a commitment to provide educational, cultural and local news and programming to residents of Ventura County.
- In 1998, the signal was expanded to include broadcasting in Santa Barbara County. The addition of a local signal and studio increased the station's ability to file live field reports and interview area residents.
- KCLU has grown dramatically from a few thousand listeners per week to over 80,000 weekly listeners.
- In the past five years, KCLU has received more than 100 major journalism awards and more coveted "Golden Mike" awards than any other station in Southern California.
- As a community service of California Lutheran University, KCLU holds a trusted covenant with the communities it serves.
California Lutheran University
California Lutheran University is a selective comprehensive institution offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in the liberal arts and sciences and professional fields. Rooted in the Lutheran tradition of Christian faith, the University encourages critical inquiry into matters of both faith and reason.
The mission of the University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice.
The University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).