Santa Barbara County fire investigators say a woman smoking while using an oxygen tank sparked a fire which left her seriously injured, and several people temporarily homeless.
The fire happened just before nine yesterday, at a complex on the 7600 block of Cathedral Oaks Road, in Goleta. County firefighters arrived to find smoke and fire coming from a ground floor unit, and burning into a second apartment directly above it.
The firefighters were able to knock to the blaze in about 15 minutes, but three apartment units suffered varying degrees of damage.
The woman in the unit where the fire started was taken to Cottage Hospital, after suffering from some facial burns, and smoke inhalation. She was later transferred to a burn unit for treatment of her injuries.