After years of using improvised facilities, the Santa Barbara Fire Department is officially opening a modern new administration, and warehouse facility today.
The City rebuilt, and made seismic safety improvements to a building on the 900 block of Chapala Street, which was originally built in the 1930′s. The City has owned the building since the 1950′s, with part of it used for years as an automotive repair business. The back of the building was used for fire department storage. The now refurbished structure includes 4500 square feet of office space, as well as 4400 square feet of warehouse space.
The $1.9 million dollar project is the second phase of an eight year effort funded with redevelopment agency money, which includes the already completed seismic upgrade, and modernization of the city’s main Fire Station Number One.