KCLU 88.3FM - 102.3FM - 1340AM

Listen Now All Things Considered 12:00am - 1:00am

Ruptured Ventura Gas Line Ignites

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:30pm


Ventura Gas Leak Leads To Fire (Photo Courtesy VFD)

Construction crews working on the City of Ventura’s water system accidentally ruptured a gas line this afternoon, which later ignited, causing a fire.

It happened at around 1:15, on the 1500 block of Morse Avenue.  A crew ruptured a two inch gas service line.  Ventura firefighters were called to the scene as a precaution, and advised people in nearby businesses to stay indoors.  Then, ignition occured at the source of the rupture, causing a fire which put up a cloud of smoke, but which was quickly extinguished.

Firefighters say a buildup of static electricity from the gas triggered the fire.

No one was hurt, and no structures were damaged.


KCLU Local News

KCLU Featured Stories